Indian Prairie Public Library is an official Passport Acceptance Facility, accepting DS-11 applications for new passports. 


When can I apply?

  • Monday, Friday, and Saturday: 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
  • Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 3-8 p.m.
  • Sunday: 1-4 p.m.
  • If our wait list is longer than our processing hours can accommodate, we may not be able to add more people to the list.

Do I need an appointment?

  • We take applications on a first come, first served basis and implement a wait list when necessary. To be placed on the wait list, you must have your unsigned, completed DS-11 form (filled out in black ink-no white out), an original or certified copy of your birth certificate (or your expired passport), a copy of the front and back of your ID, a current passport photo and two forms of payment: one for the U.S. Department of State and one for Indian Prairie Public Library.  

Is there a fee?

  • There are two fees: an application fee and an execution fee.
  • For detailed fee information, visit the State Department website. The application fee should be made to the U.S. Department of State by check, money order, certified check, or cashier's check. Passport Services strongly advises that each individual application has a separate form of payment for any fees payable to the U.S. Department of State.
  • The execution fee of $35 can be paid to the Indian Prairie Public Library by check, cash, money order, or credit card.  

What do I need?

  • Application: Applications may be filled out online and then printed single-sided. The library can provide a paper application which must be filled out in black ink with no whiteout. Do not sign the application until asked to do so by an agent.
  • Applicants and relevant parties: The applicant must be present. Both parents and children must be present for all minor applications under the age of 16.
  • Original proof of citizenship: This includes certified, original, or long form birth certificates; naturalization papers; or a U.S. passport for applicants over the age of 16. You must also bring a photocopy of your proof of citizenship. 
  • Valid photo identification: Applicants and parents of applicants under age 16 must have a valid photo ID. You must also bring a photocopy of the front and back of this ID on one side of one piece of paper.
  • Current passport photo: The library does not provide photo services. It is recommended that you have your photo taken professionally instead of attempting it on your own. There are several places near the library that provide this service, such as CVS, Walmart and Walgreens. Please note: eyeglasses must be removed for passport photos. The U.S. State Department has strict photo guidelines and the acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U.S. passport agency. This is a general overview and not all situations are covered.

How long will it take to receive my passport?

  • The library does not have access to information regarding the status of your application.
  • If you are traveling within two weeks or need a foreign visa within four weeks, you should make an appointment at a passport agency or center. The passport agency or center will specify when you will get your new passport. See Get a Passport in a Hurry.
  • For detailed timing information, visit the State Department website.

How do I renew my passport?

The library does not renew passports. However, adult passport renewals are easy to do. To renew a 10-year adult passport, visit the State Department website and download form DS-82 along with the instructions. We also have these forms available at the library.  You can renew by mail if all of the following are true of your most recent U.S. passport:

  • It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
  • It was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • It was issued within the last 15 years (not expired more than 5 years) 
  • It was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with a certified copy of your marriage certificate or government-issued document evidencing your legal name change
Complete the application and mail it with payment and the old passport to the address on the form. If you were under 16 when your passport was issued (a 5-year passport), you cannot renew it. You must apply for a new passport.