Introducing Ignite Change, a series of programs and discussions that celebrate diversity and foster equity and justice. Ignite Change provides a forum for the community to learn about relevant social issues.
Antiracist Reading Challenge
For teens in grades 7-12. Are you ready to be the change? Are you willing to put in the effort required to work towards antiracism? Read 5 of the 30 books and engage in activity prompts to earn digital badges and your own copy of one of the books listed in the challenge. You can access the challenge at Beanstack. Sign up for an account on Beanstack to get started.
All Ages. “Read Woke is a movement. It is a form of education. It is a call to action. ”According to its founder Cicely Lewis, a Read Woke book must:
- Challenge a social norm
- Give voice to the voiceless
- Provide information about a group that has been disenfranchised
- Seek to challenge the status quo
- Have a protagonist from an underrepresented or oppressed group
- Discover diverse books, log activities, and READ WOKE!
Ignite Change Reading Lists
Here is a variety of reading list to get you started.
- Antiracism for Adults
- Antiracism for Mid Kids
- Antiracism for Teens
- Black Authors for Mid Kids
- Black Authors for Teens
- Black Joy
- Black Novelists on Race in America
- Black Voices: Historical Fiction
- Black Voices: Memoirs, Essays, & Poetry
- Celebrating Black Children
- Race & Restorative Justice Reading and Viewing List
- Social Justice & Systemic Racism
- Stand Against Racism (Kids)
- Urban Fiction